Fresh fruit & vegetables
All food and food-related products imported for personal use or sale must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI's role is to help make sure imported fresh fruit, fungi, herbs, and vegetables are correctly labelled, safe to eat, and free from pests and harmful organisms.
- NZ Customs Service
- Australia NZ Food Standards Code
- Import health standard (IHS) for the importation and clearance of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Import health standard (IHS) for the importation and clearance of fresh truffles for consumption
- Guidance for importing fresh produce for consumption
- Plant imports work programme
- Subscribe to notifications
- Requesting the development of an import health standard
Import health standards are changing – November 2018 Update
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is doing a review of all fresh fruit and vegetable import health standards.
This includes Import Health Standard (IHS) 152.02: Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables for Human Consumption.
As part of the review, MPI is developing new format commodity standards. MPI is converting all fresh fruit and vegetable schedules in IHS 152.02 and individual country: commodity standards to the new format.
We were expecting the review to be completed by the end of October 2018, however the work has been delayed. We will provide more information as available and continue to provide monthly updates on the progress of the review.
When the new commodity standards are issued, MPI will revoke IHS 152.02.
Note: This is an administrative format change only. It will not affect any existing import measures or requirements.
'Food' includes ingredients and anything to be mixed or added to food. No food can be sold if it is unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. Food importers have legal obligations under the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Food Act 2014 and related legislation
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code
- other legislation made under the Food Act.
Importers must also meet other New Zealand food standards, including the Importing Food Notice.
- Browse all legislation
- Refer to the Australia NZ Food Standards Code website
- Browse other requirements, legal notices, and standards related to importing fresh fruit and vegetables
Who to contact
If you have a question, email email@example.com.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback