Antarctic Marine Living Resources permits

The Convention Area in the Southern Ocean is regulated by the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR). New Zealanders intending to take marine organisms from this area must get a permit. Find out about the 2 types of permit and how to apply.

Do you want to fish in the southern ocean in 2020/21?

Expressions of interest must be submitted by 7 February 2020

Fishing by New Zealand-flagged vessels in waters governed by the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR) is subject to:

  • CCAMLR approval
  • CCAMLR conservation measures
  • the provisions of the Antarctic Marine Living Resources Act 1981 and the Antarctica (Environmental Protection) Act 1994.

To fish in these waters New Zealand vessels must be approved by CCAMLR and have an Antarctic Marine Living Resources (AMLR) permit issued by the Minister of Fisheries.

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) invites interested parties to submit their expression of interest (EOI) to fish in CCAMLR waters in 2020/21.

Find out how to prepare an EOI and the application process

All expressions must be sent by email to arrive no later than 5pm on 7 February 2020.


Two types of permits

The type of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (AMLR) permit you need to operate in the Convention Area depends on what you're planning to do.

  • For commercial and research fishing, you'll need a fishing permit.
  • To do scientific research, you'll need a research permit. 

Map of the Convention Area – CCAMLR website  [PDF, 569KB]

Follow the steps for the permit you need 

 Find out more

Who to contact 

If you have questions about AMLR permits, or to submit a fishing or research permit application: 


Post: AMLR permits
           International Fisheries Management
           International Policy
           Ministry for Primary Industries
           PO Box 2526

Last reviewed: