Requesting information from us
You can request information from us under the Official Information Act 1982 and the Privacy Act 1993. Find out how to ask MPI for information, about the law, and our responsibilities.
Types of requests
You can request information held by MPI. This can be:
- official information – such as our internal rules or guidelines for decision making
- personal information – information that MPI holds about you.
How to request official information
Email your request for official information from MPI to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ombudsman's Office has guidelines you should read about who can make a request and advice on how to do it.
How to request personal information
Make sure you include:
- your name
- your contact details
- an outline of the information you're seeking.
We prefer email, but you can also send your request by post:
Chief Privacy Officer
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
The Privacy Commissioner's website has information about who can make a request and the rules.
MPI's Official Information Act (OIA) and privacy policies set out our responsibilities for:
- releasing official and personal information
- withholding official and personal information
- investigations by the Ombudsman or the Privacy Commissioner into MPI's decisions under the OIA, and generally.
OIA requests policy for staff [PDF, 71 KB]
Privacy Act policy for staff [PDF, 337 KB]
Purpose of official information and privacy acts
The Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) and the Privacy Act 1993 help people to:
- participate effectively in policy decisions and law making
- access information about themselves.
Under the acts, you can ask any government department about the information it holds.
How we're tracking under the OIA
The State Services Commission (SSC) and Office of the Ombudsman have a programme to improve transparency under the OIA. This includes reporting on the volume of:
- complaints to the Ombudsman (and their outcomes).
The reports are published on their websites and include information about MPI.
View released OIA information
MPI publishes some of our responses to OIA requests.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback