Proposed operational code post-slaughter activity – Chapter 9 of the Red Meat Code of Practice
Contact: Animal products team
Background to consultation
MPI is seeking feedback on the revised operational code of the Red Meat Code of Practice: Chapter 9 – Post Slaughter Activity.
The operational code was written to give guidance on the currently agreed way to meet the regulatory requirements of MPI under the Animal Products Act 1999. The code is being rewritten to reflect any legislative updates and to transfer to the new requirements and guidance template.
It is intended that this new chapter will replace the existing Industry Standard 6. The review of chapter 9 of the code of practice has been undertaken by a working group consisting of members from MPI and the red meat sector.
Your views sought
MPI invites you to comment on the proposed Red Meat Code of Practice: Chapter 9 – Post Slaughter Activity.
MPI is particularly interested in your feedback on these questions:
- Is the level of detail appropriate for the red meat sector?
- Are the technical aspects correct?
- Are the procedures practical and achievable for the red meat sector?
- Are there any areas that need more guidance?
- Draft – Red Meat Code of Practice: Chapter 9 – Post Slaughter Activity [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Submissions template [DOCX, 35 KB]
- Industry Standard 6 / Industry Agreed Standard 6 (IA6/IAS6) – Processing of Edible Product [PDF, 930 KB]
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the consultation document by 5pm on 2 February 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitters should include the following information with their submission:
- The name and title of the submitter.
- Company name, where applicable.
- Address and contact details (phone, fax, and email, if available).
The submissions template has been provided to help you complete your submission. This will also help in the analysis of submissions.
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Operational Code of Practice 9 Submission
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
A summary of responses will be made available in due course.
Note, comments you make in a submission are public information. Anyone can ask for copies of all submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the information available, unless we have a good reason for withholding it. You can find those grounds in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA. Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your feedback. Reasons might include, it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may require the information be released.