Proposal to amend the Animal Products Notice: Specifications for National Microbiological Database Programme
Contact: Chemical and Microbiological Assurance Team
MPI proposes to amend the Animal Products Notice: Specifications for National Microbiological Database Programme issued 20 September 2016.
This notice sets specifications relating to the National Microbiological Database (NMD) Programme. These specifications give effect to standards in regulation 15 of the Animal Products Regulations 2000.
Requirements for NMD
Legal requirements that you need to comply with under the Animal Products Act 1999 and Animal Products Regulations 2000 are set out in the current NMD notice and any amendments to it.
The notice applies to:
- operators who process red meat or poultry intended for human consumption
- laboratories that are a recognised agent and authorised to conduct NMD tests
- persons who take samples of red meat or poultry for an operator.
The proposed changes are intended to clarify some of the procedures and to make some minor corrections to the text.
MPI intends to review other areas in this notice during 2018 and will consult on any proposed amendments.
What's being proposed?
Proposed changes to the notice are found in sections:
- 3.2.2 Number and frequency of samples required
- 3.3.4 Post chill carcasses (for EU and US listed premises)
- 3.6.2 Template materials – regarding template calibration
- 3.13, 3.15 and 3.16 regarding duplicate plating
- 3.17.7 and 4.14.3 regarding final confirmation and serological typing for Salmonella
- 4.12.2 Limits of detection
- 4.14.3 Required responses to CPT non-compliance.
Details of the proposed changes are provided in the consultation document.
Have your say
MPI invites you to comment on the proposed changes to the Animal Products Notice: Specifications for National Microbiological Database.
A template has been provided to help you complete your submission. This will help in the analysis of submissions.
- Consultation document for proposed Animal Products Notice: Specifications for NMD Programme [PDF, 249 KB]
- Animal Products Notice: Specifications for National Microbiological Database Programme [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Submission template [DOCX, 192 KB]
Making a submission
Email your feedback on the consultation document by 5pm on 12 January 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to use the submission template.
Make sure you include:
- the title of the consultation document in the subject line of your email
- your name and title
- your organisation's name
- your address and contact details (phone and email, if available)
- the section title or clause being commented on, where appropriate
- comment describing any issues with the current clause
- your proposed amendment (optional).
While we prefer email, you can send your submission by post to:
Chemical & Microbiological Assurance
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Note that your submission is public information. Submissions may be the subject of requests for information under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA specifies that information is to be made available to requesters unless there are sufficient grounds for withholding it, as set out in the OIA.
Submitters may wish to indicate grounds for withholding specific information contained in their submission, such as information being commercially sensitive or they wish personal information to be withheld. MPI will take such indications into account when determining whether or not to release the information. Any decision to withhold information requested under the OIA is reviewable by the Ombudsman.